LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21 Points: 22,344, Level: 21

Re: breast feeding in public - April 18th 2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post
When it comes to the pros of establishing a bond between the mother and the baby through breastfeeding, how is that fair to the father? The baby is usually given to the mother first after birth, so there's already a bond forming due to that fact. I understand that there are antibodies in breastmilk that aren't in formula, but I don't think there's a significant difference in the child's health. But that's a different topic, we're not discussing breastfeeding vs bottle feeding.

Just with the bonding aspect, it doesn't seem to be a fair argument.
Considering the father doesn't have breasts, it would be a little hard to for him to breastfeed. And if BOTH parents agree that they would like for their child to be breastfed, I don't see where the problem is. When I got pregnant, my husband automatically assumed that his son was going to be breastfed because that's what he wanted for him. If there is a disagreement between parents on this subject, however, it's between the two of them to come up with a decision, I would imagine. But I would hope that if the mother had any desire at all to breastfeed that the father would stand behind her on that. There are others ways for father and baby to bond such as skin-to-skin snuggling. I was actually given a pamphlet by my lactation consultant about this very subject... It listed several ways father and baby could spend bonding time together. If both parents are doing their part, the child won't have a problem bonding with either of them.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student