View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Lightbulb Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Sharing - April 26th 2010, 02:30 AM

Anyone want to share any Vegetarian/Vegan recipes?

I know we have a fair few vegetarians and vegans here, and as someone who dislikes meat and has issues with lactose, I'd LOVE to hear about recipes others here have tried.

I'll share a vegetarian recipe, although it's rather basic, it's still yummy and pretty cost-effective.

Vegetarian Ravioli

Ingredients:
For Sauce:- 1 Jar of Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- Chopped-up Veggies of choice. *Remember to look at what veggies are already in your sauce. Zucchini went great last time I did this!*
- 1-2 TBSP of your choice cooking oil (I prefer EVOO, but vegetable works fine)
- Couple sprinkles of Garlic and Basil, or to taste.

For Pasta:
- 2 Bags of frozen Ricotta Cheese Ravioli.
If you want a Vegan variation, Click Me! I haven't tried this, but I've seen good reviews. If you still want the ricotta cheese but can't find/don't want the frozen variety, just replace Vegan filling with Ricotta Cheese.

Directions for Sauce:

1. Heat up oil, garlic, and basil (or whatever other spices you chose to add) in a deep frying pan on HIGH heat.
2. While oil is heating, chop up veggies of choice. When I added zucchini, I made the pieces about 1/8 inch thick, and cut disks into quarters.|
3. When oil is heated and bubbling, add veggies. They should sizzle as soon as they hit the frying pan.
4. Cook up veggies, keeping the heat high, until they just barely start browning.
5. Turn heat down to about MEDIUM-LOW, and add jar of sauce.
6. Let sauce simmer.

Directions for Pasta:

1. Boil water on HIGH in cooking pot, add a bit of oil to water to avoid sticking (Raviolis sticking is HORRIBLE! )
2. When water is bubbling, add pasta. If you decided to go with homemade, be very careful adding them to the water. If adding frozen raviolis, ADD SLOWLY, to avoid the water splashing.
3. Boil raviolis until they float, and you can see the filling through the pasta. If you can't tell in about 8-10 minutes, you may want to cut one in half and make sure the pasta is not tacky/sticky. I suck at explaining ready pasta since I do it by taste.
4. Turn burner off, drain raviolis, and run cool water over them to stop the cooking process.

Then...
1. Rinse out the pot used to boil the raviolis, add sauce and raviolis to the same pot.
2. Put the whole pot on the burner from the sauce, heat the whole thing on MEDIUM-LOW for a few minutes, stirring often, until everything is warm and mixed thoroughly.
3. Serve, and Enjoy!

If anyone needs clarification on this, feel free to let me know. I've never really written out a recipe before, I'm just used to doing things as I go along, improvising. And remember that the whole thing CAN be turned Vegan by making your own raviolis, or finding Vegan ravioli. And make sure to thoroughly check sauce ingredients if you're concerned. Click Me for a website that shows many names for things that are/may be derived from animals, because you never know what some companies try to sneak in.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys post!