Thread: Rape education?
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
shimmeringfaerie Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19 Points: 18,257, Level: 19

Re: Rape education? - April 29th 2010, 07:08 AM

Honestly, any rape education needs to be aimed at males since they are almost always the rapists. Telling girls not to do this or that to avoid getting raped is rather unfair. Why should we have to prevent something that is done to us?

It's like trying to educate pedestrians/other drivers in order to lower the number of deaths caused by drink driving. There is no point in telling other people to stay off the road between the hours of x and x so they can avoid being hit by potential drunk drivers. You have to direct education at people who would engage in drink driving. So aiming rape education at males would be good.

I think it would also be helpful to educate people on what to do after they've been raped. So many rapes go unreported and it upsets me. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like, but I'm sure it would be so terrifying and you wouldn't be thinking clearly. But there are plenty of women who don't report rape even when it's repeated and I don't know why. So education on that might be helpful.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.