(#8 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: I think my sister has an eating disorder - May 12th 2010, 03:37 AM

Hi Jamie,

It is great that you are looking out for your sister, even if the two of you do not always get along. That's very big of you, you obviously care about your sister, maybe even a bit more than you think. It's never easy when we feel a family member is struggling with something as serious as an eating disorder, and it's definitely difficult to decide which steps to take when we are fearing for their safety. I can understand why you are confused and not sure what you should do from this point. Realize, though, that you are already doing so much simply by caring for your sister.

Personally, I think that the best thing you can do right now is confront her. First, sit down with your other sister, the one who also noticed, and come up with a time to confront your sister. Both of you confronting her may make it a bit easier for you, and it will help your sister to realize that you are not the only one who has noticed this, and that the two of you are really serious about this. Plan out what you are going to say to your sister beforehand, and be sure that you know exactly how to talk things through with her.

The important thing is that you try to remain understanding throughout all of this. Chances are, your sister is scared. It's never easy to tell someone something such as this, and she may feel angry and humiliated. She probably won't want anyone to find out about this. She might try to deny it at first, but don't give up. Don't criticize her or become angry with her when and if you find out that she does in fact have an eating disorder. That's the last thing she needs right now.

I really hope things work out! Good luck.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts