View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: converting to Islam. choice between family or religion - May 24th 2010, 04:28 PM

There are a lot of radical fundamentalists in Islam as opposed to many other religions. Though not ALL of them are on board with the "evil/terrors" etc. of Islam, there are many who are brainwashed into it. Though Islam gets a lot of bad press, you have to realize at the same time that not all this bad press is necessarily made up. To be honest with you, it sounds like your parents are more concerned for you than being adamant against religion. Though religion often times is controversial to me it just sounds like they're concerned and don't want you to be brainwashed to what many fundamentalists buy into. If I were you I'd study more on the topic before converting. Even if you feel like you know a lot about it (probably more than myself and maybe your family), it seems to be by your wagering between religion and family that you don't know enough to make the step into religion. If you're debating between family and religion (yeah, it's difficult I understand), I think you should study it more before choosing. You are 23, so I'm sure whatever you choose will be a wise decision, but for me I'd say stick with your family. There's nothing that says you can't convert later on, but for now it seems to me you're not ready. When I converted to Christianity (I'm confused as to where I stand right now, I'm kind of a Christian-agnostic -- leaning more towards Christianity again), I lost almost ALL my friends and was made fun of a LOT for being ignorant etc. coming from a previous agnosticism, so for me it was a step from "intellect" to being "ignorant" and many people stopped talking to me.

It's a big step, and I recommend looking more into it even if you feel you know all the in's and out's. Just because you're not a convert doesn't mean you can't study it. SO, study it and see if you agree with it. If you find out you do, present it to your parents and show why you agree with it in a presentable and reasonable manner that doesn't seem like you're at war or rebelling against them.

Ultimately it's your choice, but again this is just my opinion and you don't seem ready to convert.