(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Leaving a family religion - May 27th 2010, 05:26 PM

Hey,

I've never switched from a family religion before myself, seeing as I have always remained a Christian, but I have doubted a lot in the past and been close to it, and it became extremely difficult for me to approach my family on the topic of religion. You feel as if you are not accepted by your family when you are no longer a part of their religion or if you are doubting your religion. In order to completely understand your families current mindset, though, you have to understand Christian belief. Most Christians believe that if you do not believe in God, you'll be sent to Hell. To believe that your family member who you deeply care about will not be accepted into Heaven is going to be a difficult thing. So try to keep that in mind, and realize that this is probably hard on your family as well as it is on you.

It also sounds like the topic of Religion is going to have to be mostly avoided with your family. Some families can openly talk about religion and speak their mind without causing turmoil, but others just can't. Every family has a topic that they tend to stay away from, and it sounds to me like Religion is going to have to be that topic for you and your family. If it ever does come up though, try to respect your families religion. Christians are very defensive about their religion, I've learned, and a lot of them, especially the ones who were raised in Christianity, simply cannot understand other religions. If your family is not willing to move on from their judgments, you're going to have to be the one who sets the right example. Try not to badmouth Christianity, especially not in front of them. Do what you can to show your family that even if you are not a member of their religion, you still accept and respect it. Once you start to do this, they may follow in your footsteps and be a little bit more tolerant of your beliefs as well.

It's going to take time, but eventually the situation will improve. Family is family no matter their beliefs. Hope this helps. Take care.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts