View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Points: 8,924, Level: 13 Points: 8,924, Level: 13 Points: 8,924, Level: 13

Re: How much homework and how much studying time is normal for college? - August 27th 2010, 01:01 AM

Generally from what I have experienced at university is nearly an absence of homework. Most classes I have had either had a few papers or a lot of tests.

Some professors will give out homework. I find that the math department tends to give out the same amount of homework as secondary school math teachers did.

However, you may have reading to do or other studying to keep up with the material. For that they generally do recommend 2 hours per hour of class. Most universities have about an hour of class per credit per week. If you take 12 credits (full time student) that is 12 hours of school and 24 hours of home work. You have about 112 hours of awake time during the week if you sleep 8 hours a night. Therefore you could work full time (40 hours) and you would have 36 hours left for travel.

That being said, I generally never worked more than 24 hours a week during a semester with 12-16 credits. Having time to yourself is very important, especially in college where the stress level can increase.