(#34 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina
Pronouns: she/they

Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24 Points: 29,768, Level: 24

Re: Cutting/"Emo" jokes? - November 14th 2010, 12:37 AM

I can't stand it when people joke about cutting or killing themselves. Like in my school some kids will say things like "If I have to sit next to that person every day I'm going to go kill myself." or they say to someone else "What, are you going to become all emo and cut yourself now." I usually don't say anything, though I have before, I don't find the jokes funny, but at the same time I don't find them offenseive, I know somewhere inside me I know they don't know I cut and that I struggle with my thoughts at times, so I can't say they are offending me if they don't intend to do such a thing. I got upset though when this one kid told me he watched a ten minute video on Youtube of a girl cutting herself and then he started demonstrated the cutting with a styrophom tray and a plastic knife...
I asked him why he'd watch a video like that and he said "Becuase I thought it was funny." I didn't know what to say to him, what should someone that cuts say to someone that finds watching videos of cutting amusing? I just think that society has to many stereotypes and that it's sad that there are so much labels out there and offensive names out there, I think it will take time, but eventually, self harm will get recognized more as something not to joke about and as something that when brought up, is a serious thing that needs help getting through. Just my oppinions, not that anyone would agree with them, most people don't, but I felt like I should put them here...

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."