Thread: My Future Goal
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Points: 38,476, Level: 28 Points: 38,476, Level: 28 Points: 38,476, Level: 28

Re: My Future Goal - November 14th 2010, 03:58 PM

Yeah, I agree with Cara, breeding your own crickets or locusts doesn't cost much, and given a handful of months for your colony to get started, it can be quite fruitful and they'd explode in numbers. Plus, as someone who's kept a few livefood colonies, they're quite interesting to just watch. >.>
I'm thinking maybe get some webspace and go to various well-known reptile forums, post around with a link in your signature perhaps, work up a reputation so people trust you, and take it from there.
You could get suppliers that import you some wild caught animals, but, out of business sense alone, I'd advise you leave something as risky as that until you're established, stick to captive bred, since it's nice and safe to start with, no risks of angry customers coming back to tell you that the x you sold them is infested with parasites and cost them several hundred in vet bills.
That's another thing, make sure you have a good reptile/aquatics vet on hand, build up a relationship with them, imply that you'll be using them a lot for your own animals (since things will happen, prolapse, or just those occasional animals that just don't get a good start etc.) and maybe wrangle a discount.
Also, are you a fan of amphibians? Since there's not many people who can breed them, but if you manage, you'll be popular (and swimming in it )

P.S. And if you're breeding gargoyle geckos, can I get a discount for being your bestest buddy? >.>

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"