(#33 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Woman’s eight false rape claims - November 23rd 2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
The suspension period is not connected to the length of the sentence - it is set by the judge and reflects what they deem a sufficient probationary period in light of the offence committed. It is not an extra 6 months on the sentence; instead it means that the defendant is liable to be sent to prison if they breach their order within those 18 months. After 18 months and pending the successful completion of the order, the conviction is treated as spent.
I get it now, I thought the suspension period was the same as the sentence so I was confused on what was going on there. I know you can run circles around me in law, so I feel you're the best person on this site to ask: as you said, whatever her mental health illness was, it wasn't severe enough to get her hospital treatment. Given that, could the men falsely accused sue her in a civil court (assuming they cant in the criminal court)? The amount of evidence is lower in civil courts, so would her mental illness have a greater weight in her defense or would it be treated the same as in the current case? I have the feeling it would be treated the same but since the men would need to meet a lower benchmark for evidence, would the mental illness be above or below that? Obviously this requires knowing what her condition is and I'm assuming you don't know it (I don't either) but in general, what would you expect?

By the way, I noticed you're in the UK, so is there an abbreviation of NCRMD or NCR for "not criminally responsible on account of mental disorder" or "not criminally responsible", or is it something else?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)