View Single Post
  (#145 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: What do you want to be when you grow up? - December 19th 2010, 08:36 AM

Neuroscience, neuropsychology, psychology or something in criminology, possibly involving the first two. I've had a keen interest in the nervous system since grade 10-11 because it was the thing that controlled everything else. In grade 11-12 and first year university I became an avid fan of Criminal Minds, so I wanted to do a course in psychology, which I did in the summer, loved it and got an A+. From there, I realized neuro involves biology and psychology. In third year university, I had to fulfill the university's requirements of 1.0 credits in social sciences, so I took a half (0.5 credit) course in first-year sociology. I got such a high mark I was invited to help mentor other students. I took another sociology course, which was a criminology course in the summer, loved it. I also took third-year forensic psychology where we had FBI profilers and such give lectures, show case photos and show how they determined information then let us do the same. So that led me to criminology but still loved neuroscience.

I did a paper for a third criminology course in biocriminology and positive eugenics, which really made me realize neuroscience, pharmacology and criminology are very intertwined.

We had a course involving a professor who works with neurosurgeons during the surgery, before and after, mainly for children so we learned how brain damage in children differs in adults, how to figure out which areas are damaged, etc... .

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)