View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23 Points: 25,325, Level: 23

Religion and Children - February 18th 2009, 04:25 PM

I was just wondering what your opinions are on teaching religious values to children over absolute truth (I mean nobody really disputes that 1+1 = 2 in base 10)

In my opinion it is a form of brainwashing since, at least in the first world, nobody needs to be religious to do well in life. However, I also concede the point that religion can teach important morals about right and wrong yet overall the evil teachings of it (abortion is bad, kthx) stifles objective learning and giving children the tools to work out for themselves whatever beliefs they want.

I also do not think many people below about 14 can objectively decide what they believe without looking to authority whether a teacher, pastor or family to tell them what to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dawkins
Children should not be labeled by their parents’ religion; terms like “Catholic child” or “Muslim child” should make people flinch, as children are too young to make their own mind up on issues of theology. We should instead refer to “children of Catholic parents”. To put this in context, ask yourself how you would feel if a small child was described as atheist, agnostic, Marxist or as a secular humanist; we would surely find this strange because the child would clearly be unable to grasp the implications of such ideas.

Last edited by Hyper Sonic; February 18th 2009 at 04:39 PM.