View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: Why is religion, spirituality, and philosophy combined with science on these forums? - December 26th 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity. View Post
Well, most arguments against religion are based from a Scientific point of view so maybe that's why?
Hence why a philosophy and science forum would work, but for religious seekers and people who already have a religion, there should be a place to discuss without debating and going off topic, which, if you examine any thread in this area... it leads to a debate.

Science and philosophy should be used to discuss the existence of God whereas a religious seeker does not necessarily care to discuss the existence of God because they already believe in God. Religion doesn't exist to prove God but is for those who believe in God (or the supernatural, generally speaking).

Consider it this way, what if someone started a thread on evolution and had a genuine question, say about speciation. Then a religious person comes in and says, "evolution isn't true because my religious text doesn't talk about it." It is relatively the equivalent of someone using evolution and various scientific theories such as the big bang or string theory to say God doesn't exist (which neither theories disprove God just as a religious text doesn't disprove evolution).

In other words, lets say a person was seeking a question about how to be saved in the Christian religion. Would it be fair to say that a Christian should answer the question and an atheist should not come in and say, "God doesn't exist so salvation is useless." Now, it doesn't come so blunt in the threads, but it is generally what happens. The way I see it, religion should be separated from science because science doesn't necessarily do anything for religion. Especially to those who, despite evidence, believe their religion no matter what. Thus the discussion on the existence of God, or which God, should be left to a philosophical, science, or historical forum. Or else threads should be moderated more closely because they all seemingly go off topic (which isn't a complaint, due to the sheer amount of posts debating in this thread, it'd be difficult to moderate... hence the easy solution is to separate the topics).

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou

Last edited by John 6:29; December 26th 2010 at 11:52 PM.