View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Books related to LGBT - January 7th 2011, 09:18 AM

Hi there,

It's okay to want to "come out" at your own pace. I know you've already told your parents that you're gay, but that doesn't mean that you may not have some struggles, or some secrets, down the road until you both get used to the idea (for example, their getting used to your being gay and your getting used to the idea of their knowing). The deed isn't always done when you proclaim your sexuality. There are some adjustments to be made, but that's okay. Until they become more comfortable with it (and they may just need some time, which a lot of parents do), it's understandable why you may not feel completely ready to tell them about some things. Even in the future, when you're both used to this, you probably won't be talking about your sexuality all the time (as I'm sure you're aware). Your sexuality is only one part of who you are, and if you only focused on that part, I'm sure it would become irritating to your parents and it would also be unfortunate because you wouldn't be displaying your whole self. Just like you wouldn't like it if they focused on only one aspect of their life, they probably wouldn't like it if you just talked about being gay all the time. But that doesn't mean you can't work towards being more open and honest with them!

As for the book itself, I wouldn't say it's your parents business what you choose to read, as it's for your own personal pleasure. I wouldn't worry too much about their finding it, and if they do, I'd hope it wouldn't really bother them. They might feel a bit uncomfortable, but what you do or read in your private time isn't of much concern to them, in my opinion.

For other LGBT books, I've heard Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg is good, although I haven't read it myself. I don't know of any others off the top of my head, but here is a pretty cool site that lists a variety of different kinds of LGBT books.

I hope this helps! Take care!