View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Points: 17,836, Level: 19 Points: 17,836, Level: 19 Points: 17,836, Level: 19

Re: Cutting again - January 9th 2011, 07:06 PM

Slip ups happen to the best of us. The important thing is not to focus on them or to further punish yourself for slipping up. The past is the past and the best thing we can do is to learn from it.

That being said, I think that you should maybe think about throwing away your cutting tools. You said that you haven't cut in months before hand. If the tools are gone, it can help put off cutting in the future. Getting rid of your tools isn't easy. I didn't self harm for over a year before I finally let myself let go. I personally leaned on them by thinking, they are there if I ever still need them which wasn't healthy. It is like having beer in the fridge when an alcoholic is in the house. Sure you can go out and buy more beer, but along with that comes some shame in going back, you know? Shame isn't a great emotion, but I personally found it as a motivator to keep me from cutting. Everyone is different.

It really sounds like you have a great group of friends to depend on. I would call them again when you feel like cutting. You don't even have to tell them you are having urges every time, you can just rant or talk about something else to keep your mind away from self harm.

It doesn't sound like your parents really understand the struggle or seriousness of self harm. It isn't something that can be 'cured' in three therapy sessions. I haven't read your other threads, but you mentioned some family issues. Maybe you could try family counseling. This could help your parent's not only see that self harm isn't something that should be taken lightly and joked about, but instead a serious matter. It could also help you guys work on any ongoing family problems that might be going on or triggering you to cut.

I wish you all the best Maddie. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here for you. Don't worry about bohtering me or triggering me. PM anytime!