Thread: Triggering (ED): Kenneth Tong Promoting Anorexia
View Single Post
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
her_beautiful_mistake Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: Kenneth Tong Promoting Anorexia - January 9th 2011, 09:07 PM

I am reading your posts properly, Brandon.

Quote:
If it takes someone a period of time to suffer with anorexia before they decide to make changes, then I support that
Ie, you believe you can be anorexic for "a period of time" with it not affecting you for the rest of your life. This applies to the vast minority of anorexia suffers, most will have concequences. It's not something you can just get over.

I am making assumptions you know nothing about eating disorders, or are vastly mislead, as you have actively displayed your ignorance.

You cannot chose to have anorexia. You do not wake up and think "today I am going to be anorexic". You also do not wake up and realise you are anorexic and so go straight to the doctor. It's very gradual process, and lots of people don't even realise they're anorexic until confronted by other people. I certainly believed I was just on a diet for a very long time. Genuinely believed it.
May I also add here, getting treatment for a condition such as anorexia is difficult in itself. In the UK the NHS is a bit of a shit when it comes to treating anorexia in people over the age of 18, in the US insurance companies are generally idiots when it comes to treating anorexia. And then -- recovery from anorexia more often leads to relapse then maintaining a healthy weight.
Let me state again. You do not chose to have anorexia. You also cannot always control whether you are able to recover or not; you cannot recover unless you want to, true, but whether or not you want to recover is often beyond your control.

I know that for people with limited understand/experience it is very hard to grasp, because eating is something that you just do. It's not like psychosis where there is a clear understanding -- this person is mentally ill. But anorexia is a mental illness. The individual often just genuinely cannot help themselves, why do you think sectioning etc happens? Also when you are so malnourished and underweight there are physical affects that kick in that make it even harder to get better even if you do want to.

As for the link you essentially proved me right? Obesity is not a mental illness. I'm not even sure it's classed as a medical condition yet.

I essentially agree with you that people can say what they like. What I can't get my head around is how you can understand where he is coming from.

Food adverts are not responsible for obesity. Obesity is not a mental illness. People who are not mentally ill are perfectly capable of deciding whether or not to eat that hamburger.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.