View Single Post
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Philadelphia doctor accused of murdering patient, newborns - January 21st 2011, 06:00 AM

I don't understand the charges either. According to the article, there were fetuses, or parts of fetuses, in various containers and open unsanitary equipment. How could someone be unaware of what was going to transpire with all the evidence around them to look at? Argument aside of whether the fetuses are people by social and legal definitions, the fetuses didn't walk in their by themselves. The mothers brought this living organism to be killed and presumably knew it was illegal given the reputation this doctor formed.

It's like hiring a hitman and in his "office", there are images or parts of his previous hits showing him killing them, weapons laid out and knowing he was a prominent hitman, I cant understand how one could then say one was unaware of what was going to transpire when they met to form the contract. The mothers must have been deprived of at least sight, smell and common-sense.

I cant understand why the mothers aren't being charged. Perhaps they shouldn't receive the same charges as the doctor is but accessory in murder or conspiracy to commit murder seem fitting.

I guess one thing to argue though is the definition of murder. Does it require killing a PERSON, which is a social and legal label, or a HUMAN, which is a genetic label independent of age? Would the fetuses be considered a person or not in this? Obviously they're a human, there's no argument there. The DA Williams was tossing around the words homicide and murder but the majority of the time he did, it seemed to be out of emotions not out of legal discourse.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)