Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Republicans redefine rape for abortion laws - January 31st 2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011...-rape-abortion

So basically if you're drugged it's not "really" rape.
Who is saying that? I mean, I know this author is, but he has no sources for this. Read the draft of the bill he links. Here, I will quote the part we are discusing to help out.

Quote:
The limitations established in sections 301, 302, 303, and 304 shall not apply to an abortion if the pregnancy occurred because the pregnant female was the subject of an act of forcible rape or, if a minor, an act of incest; or in the case where the pregnant female suffers from a physical disorder, physical injury, or physical illness that would, as certified by a physician, place the pregnant female in danger of death unless an abortion is performed, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself.
So what is under scrutiny in this one section of the bill is the term “forcible rape”. But this is what the author says in his own article:

Quote:
The term "forcible rape" is not defined in the federal criminal code, and the bill's authors don't offer their own definition.
So if there is no current agreed upon definition, or released to the public definition, then where is he getting all of these ideas from? Where does all of this come from:

Quote:
Republicans propose that the rape exemption be limited to "forcible rape." This would rule out federal assistance for abortions in many rape cases, including instances of statutory rape, many of which are non-forcible.
Uh… excuse me, but what? The article itself says there is no definition of the phrase, so where is he getting these ideas from? I will tell you, he’s getting them from his own opinion, his own point of view. Not fact, not what’s written out in the bill. No where does it say anything about what he just said. It hasn’t been defined yet. Therefore making this article a work of opinion and not fact.

This bill actually is saying if you are forcibly raped, the government will pay for the abortion. That is what the bill is saying. It’s so crazy how authors can word things and manipulate how the public interprets it. Whether its fact or not.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Last edited by Lizzie; January 31st 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 573232 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!