Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Points: 10,133, Level: 14 Points: 10,133, Level: 14 Points: 10,133, Level: 14

Re: Attention Cutting Vs. Being Open - February 7th 2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
It doesn’t matter why you self harm. All that matters is that these people you know are self harming. Just because they go about it in a different way, doesn’t change the action. They are hurting themselves and are going through something not all that different from what you are. Some people are more private then others about their problems. But just because they are open about it does not make their situation any less serious. They are hurting themselves and whether they display it to the whole world or not, it doesn’t matter, they still need help, they still need support. Just because you don’t understand why they are open about their self harm doesn’t mean you should pick on them or call them names. I know there are people out there that don’t understand self harm in general who say the same things. And you have to know that you are hurting this people by saying these things. Whether they hear you say these things or not, you are reinforcing the fact to others spreading rumors that if you are open about self harm that you are not in need of help and support. Which is so not true.

I think maybe you need to do some soul searching on this. Why does this bother you so much? Maybe, you are focusing your own frustration about your own self harm issues on others?
I'm not saying that they don't need help, of course they do but people who cut just because they want attention? I have a friend who is currently seeking counseling, she cut because she wanted more friends and thought it would make her popular. So to me she didn't so much have a cutting problem as much as she did a self-worth and self-esteem issue. What bothers me is that the person is doing it because they want to be seen and in most cases at least with the friends I have, they are already seen. I've went through Suicide Prevention Training so I know that it's not a laughing matter. I just find it annoying when someone does something such as injuring themselves just because they want attention compared to someone who is injuring themselves because they're hurting.