View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Milestones before Dating/Marriage - February 7th 2011, 04:15 AM

So I was just wondering on what people's opinions of what relationship milestones should a couple hit before getting engaged or married.

Personally I think that before getting engaged you should be dating for at least a year, because a lot can happen in a year, people change a lot and you need to see if your relationship can survive a long amount of time.

I think that living together is an EXTREMELY important thing to do before getting married. I mean you hear all the time with divorced couples, "Oh I love him, I just can't live with him." You can love someone but if something about them drives you crazy and they can't or won't change it it's not going to work out.

I also feel that sex before marriage is a must. Sexual chemistry is extremely important in long term relationships, and I'm sorry but unfortunately just because you love someone doesn't mean they'll satisfy you.

Meeting the parents I think is a must before engagement. So many people just rush through the relationship process these days. You know you only get to be in the boyfriend/girlfriend stage once and it is different than the husband/wife stage, so enjoy the first stage a little. There tends to be more romance in it anyway.

So thoughts?

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin