Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: @Atheists: Do you hate religion? - February 28th 2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballchick751 View Post
I have to say I find this thread saddening, that so many people think less of others for what they believe in. I believe that everyone has their own choice, to believe in anything they choose. That said it doesn't mean I'm going to agree with them, but I will not go around saying what they believe (or don't believe) in is stupid or not real. Why go around hating people? Because really, what does it accomplish? I am a Christian. I believe that we should love everyone, if you can't at least show some tolerance, but definitely not going around and blaspheming others.
I feel like I'm correcting people on this multiple times every day.

Just because I don't respect Christianity doesn't mean I don't respect you. You are much more than just the sum of the ideals you subscribe to. Hating Christianity is not the same as hating Christians, just as hating mathematics isn't the same as hating mathematicians. They're not even similar things. This attitude that an attack on your beliefs constitutes an attack on you is not only wrong, it's damaging. Ideas need to be discussed; it's the only good way to separate good ideas from bad ones. Getting offended by criticism of your ideas shuts down honest and open discussion and ultimately benefits no one. This notion that some ideas should be beyond the realm of open criticism is incredibly insidious, and ultimately constitutes little more than a shield behind which bad ideas can hide.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.