View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13

Re: Boyfriend v. Religion: I need some advice. - March 11th 2011, 09:21 PM

You say that your boyfriend clashes with your church's ideas and belief system, but does he clash with your ideas and belief systems, personally? I recognise that you may take a lot of inspiration for your beliefs from your church, but are there any differences between your beliefs and theirs?

You mention then that if you stop having sex with him then you're afraid he'll leave you. This appears at first glance to be separate from the church beliefs issue. Am I right about this, or are they more closely interlinked? You described your sex life as you 'giving him' sex - are you actually comfortable sleeping with him, or is that something you're doing because you feel you're supposed to?

Certainly it sounds like your church and the culture you've grown up in matter a lot to you. But you've met with someone outside of that culture (your boyfriend and his own set of beliefs) and that's where the clash has happened.

One final question: is he more comfortable about you going to church if you don't ask him to come along? I just wonder whether some of the conflict lies in you asking him to go with you.