(#7 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Cutting off from family? - March 14th 2011, 09:41 PM

Hey there! Welcome to Teen Help.

I have to agree with everything said above. When you turn 16, and live in your car- how are you going to feed yourself? Shower? I understand that you don't agree with your parents, and most don't within your age group, but is that really a good reason to cut all ties with them? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You are dependent on them in more ways then you realize. They are financially holding you up right now. If you leave, you're going to set yourself in an even bigger problem.

Let me tell you a quick story. Months ago, I had this boyfriend I was going to move in with. He lived in a completely different state, and is on his own. We came up with this grand plan. I would move down there, apply for financial aid, and get a job. I didn't think to account for groceries, gas, clothes, insurance for car/medical, etc. You are expected to pay a lot more then you ever anticipate. I'm 18 now, and in college. I still live with my mom, and things are STILL hard to pay for.

My main concern for your plan is finances. If you plan to move out when you are at 16, you better have a damn good plan. You don't want to cut all ties with your family, get in some trouble, and need them again. (trust me, you're going to need your family again at some point.) It's okay to go to college when you are 16. in fact, I think it's a really good idea. If you wait 2 years, you are likely to forget what you learned in schoool, and it will be harder for you once you get to college. However, you are going to need a job to support yourself.

Keep ties with your family. You don't have to agree with their beliefs, but they are your family, and they are worth having around. Plus, they are the ones that are going to be there for you, no matter what.