(#43 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
If I understand correctly, evolution suggests that humans used to be something else other than human and came from the same thing that monkeys did.....which isn't possible going by the bible, because in the bible humans were created directly.
Evolution does suggest that but it also suggests humans originated from reptiles, fish, and other animals. Many of those animals aren't seen today as living creatures, some are but those that are, humans evolved independently from. For example, before humans were bipedal (i.e. walk upright), humans walked in a way similar to that of crocodiles. If you ever want to see a living dinosaur, you're best chance is to look at a crocodile or alligator. According to the bible, humans were made as is however, there are current animals not mentioned in the bible yet they exist currently. My question to that is, those that aren't mentioned in the bible yet do exist currently, how do you explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1
Plus, according to the bible, humans have souls and aniamls don't; so I don't see how humans and animals could have come from the same thing.
That's incorrect. If we're going to discuss what an animal is, we use biology because that is where an animal is defined. Humans are animals because we are part of the kingdom Animalia.

As for talking snakes existing, well... that's something I consider to be of fairytales, Hollywood movies or psychiatric patients. You can choose the one you're of, fairytales or psychiatric patients.

But sticking with the literal interpretations, I have a question for you: why can iron chariots defeat god? I'll have to find the exact passage unless you know the one I'm referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewithYou View Post
You can believe in evolution and the Bible. A literal interpretation of the creation in Genesis is debatable. I don't accept evolution, simply because I believe Genesis is literal, but there is definite support for a non-literal interpretation. And many Christians, Catholic and Protestant, believe in the Bible and accept the theory of evolution. Just because you don't believe in evolution doesn't mean that it's not possible. It's not restricted to your own interpretation or understanding. Yes, there is a definite meaning to Genesis, but there is strong support for both. And TBH, it has no effect on the soul, so I don't get into it. I find the arguments for the literal support of Genesis quite pitiful, and I also find conservative Christianities defenses against evolution, or Apologetics, laughable. It's really a failed attempt to "disprove" evolution. I do believe there is support for a intelligent creator, but I also don't believe there is much argument against evolution. I believe the two are plausible. Why do I believe intelligent design over evolution? Well, I believe it, because... eh, I suppose you can just call it "blind faith" on this one. But, really, I just trust Christ over science (perhaps still deem-able "blind faith").
Although I rarely agree with you and what you post, I got to say, I agree with you regarding evolution. I was actually expecting you to be posting some of the deluded "this-disproves-evolution" Christian stuff along with Megan1 or even in more support of it than her. I'll wait and see how you respond a bit in this thread, as I think I may have to reconsider some of my views on you as a person and my dislike/like.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)