View Single Post
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 03:44 AM

Also, in regards to humans being made "directly," this isn't exactly so. The bible discusses many things in a very brief amount of time. That is, it wasn't just "poof" humans. Adam had to go into a "deep sleep" in order for God to create Eve. Many events in the Bible seem instant, but possess a long amount of time. I mean take the Gospels for example. In 20 pages or less is about 30 years. Saying humans were made directly, or instantaneously, is like suggesting you put water in a freezer and it magically turns to ice. It took time.

This also brings, I'm sure, to your mind (as it does mine, Megan) that the Bible gives the amount of time in "days." However, when the Bible gives any amount of time or number, it is VERY figurative, and VERY meaningful. That is, just because it says a day doesn't mean it was a literal day. The number could have a specific meaning, rather than just a "day." We find this in Revelation, in the New Testament. Many people, which I'm sure you're one (no offense), take the 1,000 year reign literal. But the reality is far from it. The 1,000 year reign was NOT a belief AT ALL until the past 100 years from Lewis Sperry Chafer. In fact, the majority of Christians understood the 1,000 year reign the way I understand (not to sound boastful -- I don't mean to sound that way), in that it is a figurative number. The word for 1,000 given in Greek was one of the largest numbers they had back then. Which simply, is saying that it's going to be a LONG amount of time, not necessarily 1,000 literal years. In fact, the Bible supports that the 1,000 year reign is already taking place since Christ has been here! Taking the 1,000 years literally, would be like understanding Alpha and Omega as God having a lifespan, that He had a beginning and that He will have an end. This was the belief amongst John Calvin, Martin Luther, and a lot of the great reformers, and even the early church. I'm not saying tradition is the best resource, but I am saying that the Bible states if we go back to the beginning we will find life. That is, the truth of the Bible can be found in the times past.

Essentially, we wouldn't read a paraphrase from John MacArthur on the Bible to read the Bible, we'd read the Bible. Thus, the closer we go back to "Jesus-times," the closer the interpretation of the Bible we get, which you will not find Pre-millenialism in that era. So, to my knowledge, it is heresy, not damnable of course, but heresy none the less. Not simply based on tradition, but the teachings of Christ prove that this 1,000 year reign is figurative, and that we are in this time right now. Martin Luther considered a 1,000 year reign even childish. Look into Amillennialism.

The issue is, when you take the Bible literally, you run into all sorts of problems. For example, if I ask you, "Do you take the Bible literally?" I'm sure your answer is, "Yes." As most conservative (and I am conservative, believe me) Christians do. But then let me ask you, have you cut off your hands? Have you plucked out your eyes? Have you ate Christ's flesh? Have you drank His blood? Have you carried your cross? You see? It goes on and on. You can't simply take the Bible literally. There are rules to understanding the Bible called hermeneutics, and it suggests that Genesis account of creation could essentially be figurative. I don't agree with this, but we can't rule it out simply because we believe differently.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou