View Single Post
  (#50 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 02:02 PM

Nick, again, I'll respond later. However, I'll give you a few likelihoods right now.

Genesis 1 is simply an overview. It's not necessarily what happened exactly. We get the full description in Genesis 2. I understand what you are saying. But this is similar to the way Genesis 1 simply says that God created man and woman in His image at the same time. However, when we get the full description in Genesis 2, we find out this isn't so.

But I also take the stance that in Genesis 1:3 that this is the sun and moon God created, otherwise saying there was evening and morning prior to the creation of the signs in the sky would be kind of pointless. The sun and the moon by the Hebrews were also considered to be separate from the stars. So when God made the signs in the sky to separate the days, nights, months, years, etc. these weren't necessarily considered the same as the sun and the moon to the Jews.

But even if we completely ignore that. Not all plants need light to grow.

In regards to my "God can do anything" response, this wasn't an argument. It's just what I hold, and it's not necessarily circular or weak. It'd be like wondering how a smartphone was made. We don't just assume some guy randomly made a smartphone without any prior knowledge. He needed to know the mechanics of a computer and how to make them compact enough to get it phone-sized. But when you're dealing with someone who is omniscient, it wouldn't really be that difficult. I mean, how did Christ raise form the dead? The best example we are given in that what we sow does not come to life unless it dies. It can't necessarily be explained naturally (unless we assume He never died at all), so it must be because of God. Certainly we have people who "die" and wake back up. But not the way Christ was crucified, beaten, etc. It would be rare for someone to survive after the 29 lashes from a Roman guard, much less being crucified, and stabbed through the ribs. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the likelihood? I mean reason itself tells us that's not likely.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou