View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Athiesm and Religion are exactly the same. - March 27th 2011, 08:47 PM

Boy oh boy, let's have fun with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mIssIng:nO View Post
Now, I know this title is completely wrong but I'm making a point.
If you know it's wrong, don't write it.

Quote:
And my question to Athiests who spew the "science tells us so" side of things. I'm in some agreement with you but I have a few questions.

1) Why do you naturally assume that everything is documented towards scientific findings is 100% correct? Science is all about expanding knowledge of what actually exists, and when you expand knowledge, certain things change about old things you already have looked at.
We don't. Anyone who thinks that any scientific result is 100% guaranteed to never be disproven doesn't understand science. In my experience, this view of science is held by far more often by theists than atheists.

Quote:
2) Not everything is released and made public, you automatically assume because nothing has been made public about discoveries that it hasn't happened. Plenty of technology isn't known by the public eye, so why do you always assume that knowledge isn't with held to?
Because we aren't paranoid. It's possible, of course, but until we're presented with a solid reason to think that this is both occurring and meaningful, we don't waste our time with it. What kinds of knowledge do you think are being withheld?

Quote:
3) Narrow minded thinking. Now I'm not saying athiests are narrow minded becuase thats just flat out not true. But my question to you is, why is this "out side the box" thinking made so evil in the eyes of Athiests. Critical thinking is good and needed yes, but without far fetched ideas and unorthodox thinking, many of the ideas we have today may not exist.
Outside-the-box thinking is good, sure. But "Hey, here's a crazy hypothesis, let's test it!" is not the same as "Hey, here's a crazy hypothesis, accept that it's true dammit!" I have plenty of appreciation for the former, and nothing but scorn for the latter.

Quote:
In the end, think for your fucking selves people. As soon as you say "we'll science says this" you instantly loose your own free thought, and take what others say as automatic fact. Please, think for your selves some what, yes, everything documented is great to have and scientific facts do point to certain things, thats the entire point of humanity as it is, evolution and the gathering of knowledge, but as we evolve in all parts of life, things change.
Do you understand the complexities of molecular biology? General relativity? Quantum mechanics? I certainly don't. Thinking for yourself is all well and good, of course, but the simple fact is that most of us don't even have a fraction of the knowledge or education we'd need to have meaningful views on such topics. Even if you devoted your life to understanding such things, you'd never be able to cover all fields. Now, it of course doesn't follow that if a scientist says X that you should automatically believe that X is true. But if there's an overwhelming concesus in the scientific community that X is true, and there are shelves full of documented evidence for X, then yes, you should accept X as true. It might not be, but if you really want to make a case that it isn't then start by getting a university education in that field and look for evidence that supports your view.

It would be lovely if we could all understand the leading edge of scientific discovery, but we can't; our understanding of reality has grown far past the point where one person can hope to grasp all of it. Since refusing to accept anything that you don't yourself understand is going to leave you essentially non-functional in any general discussion, the question is: what do you put your trust in? I contend that trusting science is much more sensible than trusting religion, as both its principles and its results are much more alligned to reality as we all experience it.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.