Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: A Few Questions About Religion - March 27th 2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMsFOB View Post
As for your second question, the Devil isn't helping God. Originally, the evil was not supposed to exist. The Devil was actually an angel in heaven called Lucifer that turned bad, and decided he wanted to be more powerful than God and got kicked out of heaven. So he represents evil because he opposes God, who is good. The Devil wants people to go astray and follow him, like he's winning people away from God. It's not that he punishes people who do wrong, he leads people to do wrong, and the punishment they recieve for doing wrong is separation from God and good things in hell. The important thing though, is that Jesus Christ died so that no one is doomed to hell, despite the fact that everyone sins. Jesus triumphed over the devil, sin, and death because God loves us. So we're saved if we believe that and accept that gift of life.
That's one Christian's perspective, hope that made sense.
That's my take on it, so
So Satan is actually more-or-less powerless, and the people who suffer in hell are suffering because God wants them to, rather than because of Satan?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.