Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 27th 2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
Sorry to everyone for misusing the word "theory". However, it is still also a theory as in hypothesis since it can't be proven. A lot of things in this world are.
Everything in the world is, technically. The point is that evolution is as supported by evidence as, for example, gravity. In fact you could argue that we understand the specifics of evolution better than we understand the specifics of gravity.

Quote:
God can control science, so in that way I guess He isn't out of it. But He is out of it's controls is what I was saying. He can control it, but it can't control Him.
Science doesn't attempt to "control" things to begin with; it's the attempt to gather knowledge about reality. If god exists and interacts with reality, science would be able to learn about that interaction.

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly. I mean, I know that nothing bad happens in Heaven......but I don't know if that's because we won't have the power to do anything bad, or because our souls will be so joyful that we can't even imagine wanting to.
So if either of these cases is true, why not skip the imperfect "human" stage and simply make us like that? If heaven is good and everything is better in heaven, why not make all people as in heaven?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.