dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Science, religion...thoughts - March 29th 2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
You have absolutely no grounds on which to claim this. You cannot know how people would react simply because nothing like it has ever happened. Considering how predominantly Christian America is, I'd guess that people are actually likely to give an experience like this more credit than it would deserve, not less. Appearing on Earth, in person, for an extended period of time would probably be the easiest way to convince most people that god is real. People aren't typically in the habit of abjectly denying what they personally experience, even when they should.
To be fair, you could point to the prevalence of conspiracy theories regarding certain high-profile events in world history (Moon landings, JFK assassination, 9/11 and so on) as providing some circumstantial evidence that people can quite easily deny what is happening in front of them even in the face of overwhelming evidence. Denial does seem to be a reflex action in some circumstances, probably because the brain is not capable of fully taking in the implications of such events until initial shock has passed. I would agree however that this is circumstantial at best. Another possibility is that those witnessing an appearance of God on Earth would go into severe nervous shock and die thereafter, which would not be much of an improvement on balance...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick