Thread: Triggering (Abuse): Is this rape?
View Single Post
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: Is this rape? - April 10th 2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgrenadeheart View Post

But if you said no many times before that, the guy would know he's taking advantage. As far as I'm concerned, that is by no means "quite rightly assuming you want to have sex".

If someone's persuaded to have sex, they might give in because they're scared, because they feel helpless, because they feel that resisting would get them hurt. If the person responsible for the persuasion is aware that the other person is uncomfortable, then persisting in the behaviour until the other person gives in is wrong and, as Emma pointed out, classifies as rape.

Unless you're held at gunpoint, being persuaded to buy a car is unlikely to present any such fear.
See, this seems ridiculous to me. If someone, say, at a party, is constantly saying "Come on, please have sex with me... please? Please please please? You'll like it, come on..." and you keep saying no, then eventually, you think, why not, and agree to have sex with him... how is that rape?

You say that talking someone into buying a car and talking someone into sex are different concepts, but your evidence for that confuses me. You say that unless you're held at gunpoint, being persuaded into buying a car is unlikely to present fear. But unless you're being held at gunpoint, why would someone trying to talk you into sex cause such fear?

I mean yeah, if the person is pushing you around, threatening you, locking the doors, trying to stop you from leaving etc, then that's quite different. There has to be a reason that you're so frightened you have sex with him, rather than just assuming that if you left he'd rape/murder/kidnap you.

But if someone simply just tries to 'convince' you to have sex, and your course of action is to rip off your clothes and get into bed with him, rather than leave the room, it makes you pretty pathetic and weak minded to call it rape afterwards.

Legally, I doubt this would classify as rape, no matter what rape councillors say. I can't imagine arresting a guy for having sex with a girl, even though she said yes, even though she 'responded', even though she didn't try to physically stop him what so ever, and being charged with rape because he asked six times before she finally said yes.

If this really is considered rape I'm pretty sure more than 85% of boyfriends and husbands could be considered rapists.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy