Thread: Triggering (Abuse): Is this rape?
View Single Post
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: Is this rape? - April 16th 2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
Provided I read this right then actually I disagree, there does not need to be a rational reason why you don't want to have sex with someone, it could be that you aren't in the mood, or that you are genuinely scared...
No, that's not what I meant. There doesn't have to be a rational reason why you don't want to have sex with someone- there needs to be a rational reason why you think that leaving the room would result in physical harm.

Quote:
if you were harassed or coerced into having sex when you say no at first, then it is counted as rape.
If you say yes and there is no force or threat involved, it is not rape, it's sex.

Quote:
I actually looked rape up on wikipedia and looked down to the "consent" part of the page.
Ooo, wikipedia. *prepares to be dazzled*

Quote:
"Consent need not be expressed, and may be implied from the context and from the relationship of the parties, but the absence of objection does not of itself constitute consent. Lack of consent may result from either forcible compulsion by the perpetrator or an incapacity to consent on the part of the victim (such as persons who are either intoxicated or otherwise mentally helpless) " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape#Consent

Now I read this as you can have sex without physically saying YES, but the absence of objection does not automatically mean yes...and consent can be implied from the context. Now if someone says no, no, no, no, okay fine - It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that this person implied they were not keen for sex, and it was the persuasion that made them - or 'forcible compulsion'
It seems we are reading different things. First of all, it says 'the absence of consent', which means,as you said 'I read this as you can have sex without physically saying YES, but the absence of objection does not automatically mean yes' . This is absolutely true, such as in the cases of having sex with someone so drunk they can't say yes. But then you go on to give another example 'no, no, no, no, okay fine'- There is no 'absence of consent' there, the person clearly said 'okay fine', indicating that they have changed their minds from the original no, so your whole argument goes out the window.

Persuasion is not forcible compulsion. Forcible compulsion is like me saying 'say yes or I'll punch you in the face' or 'agree to this or I'll kill your family'. 'Pleeeeaseee Emma I'm really horny. Come on, it'll be worth it. Don't you wanna have fun?' isn't forcible compulsion.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy