Thread: Triggering (Abuse): Is this rape?
View Single Post
  (#48 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Is this rape? - April 17th 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterCosmonaut View Post
There's nothing we can legally do other than say that we don't need evidence. If you can't produce concrete evidence that someone raped you, you're dumb as fuck to think that anyone's going to believe you, and nobody should. The only way you can make these cases different is to find a reliable scientific way of telling, or to make it Guilty until proven Innocent. That's all there is to it. If there's concrete evidence that a person raped you, the courts have to accept that, but if there's no evidence, I don't know what you expect.. But on the other hand, the moment a man is accused of rape, his entire life is then over simply because there's anonymity for the accuser but not the accused, which is blatantly wrong; both should be held anonymous unless the accused is convicted.
With all due respect, that isn't what I was getting at - the problems in the court system when it comes to rape and sexual assaults isn't so much the evidential problem as historical problems with the admissibility of claims about past conduct which have nothing in the slightest to do with the matter at hand but can nonetheless discredit the victim in the eyes of the jury. That is to say nothing of sometimes inherent prejudice in juries and some judges. "Concrete evidence" for such offences often does not exist and I feel it is somewhat naive to suggest that it does, or indeed that it does for many offences. My point was more that aside from some notable examples - of which the rape accused anonymity issue is another good one - to claim the system is biased against men is not borne out by the facts in this area at least.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick