View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: Explaining Religion to a Child - May 13th 2011, 10:09 AM

I think many of the Atheists I've talked to in real life have kind of an idealistic view when it comes to this. I've heard many say they're going to teach them about all religions and non-religion and then leave it up to them. But for one, what do you consider 'all religions' because that's probably going to take a couple of years. And two, just because a kid asks if god exists or how the world was made or w/e doesn't mean they want a 5 hour lecture on the history of religion. Or that they have the attention span/ capacity to understand such things.

Many also say they wouldn't care if their child was religious, but I think a lot are kind of bullshitting and would actually be annoyed if there kid wanted to be a Christian. I'm sure they wouldn't say "That's stupid, you're wrong" but it would be more along the lines of "well why do you believe that? There isn't any proof...it isn't logical. Christians have done a lot of bad things throughout history" blah blah blah. And saying that to a child is just the same as saying "You're wrong."

Personally I would just keep it brief (unless they asked about it in further detail). I guess I would just say "Well some people believe in X, some people believe in X, or X. Nobody really knows though."

Personally I wouldn't care if my kid was religious because I don't really have anything against Christianity (or any other religion). Realistically though it's kind of unlikely that a kid would grow up in a household that isn't religious then suddenly start believing in one religion or another.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy