OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: T1 diabetes - May 19th 2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissyou View Post
hi,
yeah im on novorapid. and the gastrointestinal pains probably isnt a good idea, as i have something wrong with my stomach etc and am taking codeine and cyclazine for it... but i shall still mention it anyway, to see if there is anything else like metformin i could have. i always assumed it was for T2, but hey, you learn something new everyday . i know im on a lot of insulin, my levemir is 42u, which is a lot for my age and weight/height etc. i really should only be on about 20. i used to be on 64 lantus, but when changed to levemir started on 56 and gradually gone down. i have to put it up for a few days here and there, but i always try and bring it back down, as i know a dose this high isnt good for my body. i dont eat unhealthy, yes i eat chocolate and cakes and crisps, but not all the time. i LOVE vegetables and fruit, so i guess that is a plus
xx
Metformin is usually prescribed for T2 diabetes, you're correct on that but for people with T1 diabetes who take large amounts of insulin, then metformin may be used. From what I know, the dosage of novorapid you take throughout the day should be roughly that of the Lantus/Levemir dosage. 62 units of Lantus is pretty damn high!

I checked and metformin doesn't interact with cyclizine nor codeine, however, I know that doesn't guaruntee it wouldn't cause gastrointestinal pains. There are other anti-diabetic medications but most act somewhere in the gastrointestinal region, including pancreas and liver. The exception is thiazolidinedione (TZDs) as they act within the muscle and fats but like metformin, they're usually for T2. The problem is its COMMON side effect includes liver damage. I wrote COMMON in capitals because usually that side-effect is an UNCOMMON one in most medications. Given you're on codeine, liver damage would start to screw it up and it won't be a fun experience.

I suppose if the other anti-diabetic medications that do work somewhere in the gastrointestinal-liver-pancreas regions would be taken, the doctor would monitor you a lot closer.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)