(#42 (permalink)) Old
playpretend Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elliotte

Points: 9,723, Level: 14 Points: 9,723, Level: 14 Points: 9,723, Level: 14

Re: Do you have a mental illness? - February 26th 2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Have you had a mental illness?
I have been diagnosed as having severe depression and anxiety, and am on medication for both. I am in line to be evaluated for having ADHD, as well.

Quote:
Have you faced any discrimination for being mentally ill?
As far as depression and anxiety, no, other than ignorance.

I'm hesitant to say "as far as ADHD" seeing as it's still more or less up for debate, however, this is something that has set me apart from peers and other influences since childhood and it is something many people have responded very negatively to, including - possibly especially - teachers and adults.

The evaluation is in part to qualify me for accommodations, as I am very easily distracted by my environment and I cannot take oral exams (I can take the same test written and verbally, ace it written, flunk it verbally). Though I attend a charter school where I'm lucky enough to be given these accommodations without an official evaluation, I won't be so lucky later in life; the process is a lot more time consuming and requires a lot more patience than I could ever have imagined.

However, being given the accommodations at my school has opened the door to my being both teased and avoided. Even in 12th grade. You'd think people would grow up.

Quote:
Are there any positive things you have learned from having a mental illness?
Probably a greater sense of compassion, and the ability to pinpoint people who are going through or who seem to be going through what I've been through. I've gained a greater understanding of the idea that nothing is impossible, and I feel it's really returned me to the childhood sense of "You can be who/what you want to be"; I don't believe in external limitation, and being diagnosed has only increased the drive to be more, do more, etc. and surpass the limited expectations of me. I also feel it's strengthened and somewhat fueled the want to help people in the ways I never was.

To a degree, I feel I've learnt humility, as well, if even I need an occasional check on how to swallow my pride.

- Elliotte

If you don't get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don't want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can't hold on to it forever. Your mind is your predicament. It wants to be free of change. Free of pain, free of the obligations of life and death. But change is a law, and no amount of pretending will alter that reality.
ℑDan Millman