View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Religion and Atheism. - July 11th 2011, 09:23 PM

I'm an atheist and anti-theist. If a religious person wishes to engage in a debate or merely a conversation about religion, I'm likely to be against their religion (more so if I know enough of the religion) and don't believe in their god(s). With that said, if there is no debate or conversation from the other side, then I don't go at them because it would be hypocritical on my part as I don't like it when others do that to me. Generally, I don't insult someone for being religious but for those who are so deluded to the point they won't want to hear from the other side while being in a debate, then I do give a minor insult to the person. Most religious people aren't like this though so it rarely find myself doing this.

One of the things I truly dislike is arguments against science from a non-scientific view and it's clear the person doesn't really understand what the scientific theory is actually about. If they have a scientific argument, then I'm all ears regardless of their religion. As someone who has done research courses in biological evolution (although it's not my main area of study), I do dislike when non-scientific arguments are presented as facts because not only do they perpetuate nonsense, it also gives myself and researchers are kick in the nuts/ovaries.

The last thing that is more of a frustration than anything else is when the religious person refuses to acknowledge my arguments from their religious perspective. That is, when I debate with Christians, it's foolish for me to sometimes resort to science (depending on the topic). Naturally, I resort to the bible so we're on the same playing field yet so often I've had Christians dismissing parts of the bible when it suits them.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)