(#8 (permalink)) Old
tasha555666 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tasha

Points: 8,898, Level: 13 Points: 8,898, Level: 13 Points: 8,898, Level: 13

Re: Tattoo Artist? - July 30th 2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmileFell View Post
So guys, I love art, and I have always thought that art would get me no where if I made a career out of it, but I have been thinking.. & after a bit I realize I want to become a tattoo artist.
But I don't know what to do to become this, college? What?
Anything you can tell me will help, I am going to be a senior in highschool by the way.
Help me out, thanks in advance. (:

I've tried this myself,i spent 3 years doing art course in college and sold paintings but also wanted to stray and try other types of art..
Basically you wont get paid for being an apprentice in a tattoo shop because you'll be learning their trade,you'll spend ages sitting in the shop watching them tattoo and helping with general duties,which includes cleaning.
I'd say do research,you must know at least some details about the whole history and the parts of the gun ect,visit local "good" tattoos and ask if they take apprentices on..(I had an offer to work in a shop without looking,long story) But they'll ask to see your art work so get a folder made up with pictures of art and drawings you've done.
It takes years to practice ect,i've stopped doing it,lost interested and i've worked aboard and going back out to live hence the career change.
Mine told me to get a gun ect and start practicing on fruit and fake skin,i've done some on myself,mother,and both sisters i never went further and i will be honest it will take years..Good luck..