View Single Post
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33

Re: Religion and Birth Control - August 7th 2011, 05:13 PM

I know many Catholics that will use condoms but will not use the birth control pill. The reasoning is that some birth control pills can prevent an embryo from implanting in the uterus, which is decidedly not pro-life. But it is important to understand how the pill works. The primary function of birth control pills are to prevent ovulation and the secondary function is to inhibit sperm from penetrating the cervix. This means that when the pill is used correctly and is working effectively, fertilization is highly unlikely, which logically leads to implantation being equally as unlikely. If you believe life begins at conception, though, that small chance may not be a risk worth taking. Condoms, however (when used effectively, and I do stress that) only prevent fertilization, there is no secondary function which inhibits implantation--the sperm never reaches the egg, so an embryo never forms.

The best advice I can give you is to schedule an appointment with a OBGYN. You should have regular visits as someone who is sexually anyways, and a doctor can best explain to you how various methods of birth control work. This will help you determine, personally, what is and is not inline with your beliefs.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.