View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Ghost On The Highway Offline
Antihero
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Ghost

Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18 Points: 16,726, Level: 18

Re: Alcohol abuse? - August 30th 2011, 03:31 AM

I had a similar problem, except that my personality didn't change when I was drinking. One thing that helps is to pace yourself -- use a damn clock if you have to. For example, tell yourself you will have one drink per hour or something. I used to take multiple shots at once, drink 9 or 10 drinks in one hour, etc. Later in the night, I'd feel tremendously drunk and sick, and end up vomiting all over the place.

Take some time off from drinking, maybe a week or two. If you find this difficult, you may be in the early stages of alcoholism, in which case I'd recommend what others already have (AA, speaking with a counselor, etc.)

Try to drink with meals instead of at parties -- it's a lot easier to pace yourself that way.

Sorry if this is all terrible advice, I made it through but I can barely remember how (must have been the alcohol ), and I'm actually drinking right now .

Not to scare you, but alcohol abuse can cause major mental problems. I had no history of depression before my freshman year drinking binge, and am currently on effexor and lamictal. Korsakoff's psychosis is another fun one to investigate.

I hope you are able to enjoy alcohol in a healthy capacity, and wish you luck in kicking the habit.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.