View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
vert_igo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Verti

Points: 8,183, Level: 13 Points: 8,183, Level: 13 Points: 8,183, Level: 13

Re: ADHD Makes You Have To Work Harder - September 22nd 2011, 06:09 PM

I'm actually a very fast and efficient work, and I learn very fast too - the problem is that I can't organize my thoughts all the time. There's usually so much going on in my head that I simply have a hard time prioritizing my attention. If I couldn't organize my thoughts internally, then there was no way I'd be able to effectively articulate them, it's like trying to untangle a giant knot sometimes. Then in school, I'd get frustrated if I fell behind and completely give up, afraid that if I tried and failed then it would mean I was stupid - I was very disillusioned and thought that not trying altogether was better, not sure if this is common among others with ADD, as this type of extreme one or the other behavior tends to manifest in many different behaviors. I have awful time management skills as well.

I have noticed that medication is definitely not a magic fix-all, and comes with many cons - it makes things clearer for me, and when I first took it I felt like a near sighted person putting on glasses for the first time. However, medication won't do squat if the motivation simply is not there. I have had days on my meds where I just lock myself in my room and work on drawings completely unrelated to school work and fail to get assignments done because I'm so engrossed in it. Additionally, the use of stimulants for ADD has many, many side-effects - the biggest for me is dependency, I would even go so far to say that I abuse it, self medicate and am addicted to the stimulant high. In the end, if you have the motivation then you can do well without medication - it may take you longer, but it's doable. Medication should be a tool, not something required or depended on. I know that you didn't specifically mention medication, but it's usually the only solution sought out for ADD(despite the fact that most schools offer education support services, free tutoring, and therapists can be very helpful in helping individuals who have problems organizing their life), and it's something I have personal experience with.