View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: College Protest against Proposed Califorinia Bill to Allow Colleges to consider ethnicity/gender in Admissions - September 27th 2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
So then a lower class white is at more of a ‘disadvantage’ than a low class minority because there are enough white people high in society? If the whole argument is to help out and even the playing field for the lower class (which minorities make up a large portion) shouldn't income and wealth be considered when applying to college, and not ethnicity?
I'm not sure what you're saying (your first sentence confused me) but if you are asking why income is not taken into consideration... it is. A lot. I don't know what it's like in America but as I said, I've been applying for so many scholarships lately... probably about 30% have been merit based, and the rest have been equity scholarships for students (no matter the race) who have faced finacial hardship. In fact that's probably the most common kind of scholarship I've come across.

I don't know why you think you can only consider SES or ethnicity and not both.

If someone belongs to a minority which less that 30% complete high school, you can't just ignore that and pin it to just one factor like income when obviously there is more at play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
And aren’t there more females than males in college now anyways? Why should gender be considered?
I agree that gender shouldn't be considered.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 729750 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!