View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24 Points: 29,500, Level: 24

Re: College Protest against Proposed Califorinia Bill to Allow Colleges to consider ethnicity/gender in Admissions - September 28th 2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
You can't just ignore the statistics and say 'oh, that's just about income'. If the statistics show one group is dies almost 20 years earlier, makes up almost a quarter of the prison population (despite making up 3% of the wider population) and less than 25% of people who share you ethnicity finish even high school... SOMETHING is going on.
Except it is just about income. Unless you're trying to make the point that non-white and poverty have a genetic correlation.

Cultural maybe, but that last time I checked, poverty wasn't JUST a minority issue.

Quote:
You could say, oh, X group just happens to have more working class people than white people which is where the issue comes from. But that in itself is a huge problem. If one race is substantially lesser off than another, that IS disadvantage because of skin colour and you can't just pretend it doesn't exist.
How does that have anything to do with skin color? If I brought up statistics pointing out how a lot of violent crime is committed by blacks, does that mean that being black makes you more violent? Obviously not.

Quote:
To argue that because we're white we're at some sort of disadvantage when it comes to college application... well that's a load of horseshit. By virtue of being born white we already have a hell of an advantage over other races when it comes to getting into college.
I never said we were at a disadvantage. You're entirely missing my point.

Quote:
If we want to be an egalitarian society we

a) NEED scholarships like this to make it a fair game

b) NEED scholarships like this so the next generation doesn't face the same problems (then you can get rid of them).
Again, missing my point. I never said I had a problem with scholarships. I said I had a problem with racially charged admission practices.

Ethnicity is a red herring that we need to stop making a big god damned deal of. Also, how is one generation of scholarships supposed to magically fix anything?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 729750 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!