View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15 Points: 11,362, Level: 15

Re: Help-Last year of college, hate my major and im scared about the future - September 29th 2011, 03:29 PM

Whoever said that college imitates life? It doesn't. The classes you take give you the proper background to actually apply the abilities and skills you (supposedly) mastered in college, but I don't think you can project what it must be like to actually have a career in the law based on your experiences in classrooms! Even 'internships' and the like aren't correlated, b/c you're still in a student role. It's a lot different, 'Learning' and 'doing', regardless of your major.

Your anxiety is understandable, people change a lot during college, and with it interests and desires. The expectation that people are supposed to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives and declare that and work towards it when they lack the experience to make that informed choice is a regrettable part of the process. It would be better to be born old, to have the benefit of maturity and experience to guide us, but we don't.

What we get instead is developing awareness of our emerging abilities and interests, which guide us (along with some adult supervision) as we start the process of declaring a major, an interest, and pursuing a degree in it. Let's assume that your choice way back to pursue a career in law was sound, that it was based on some awareness of yourself and your abilities, and that maybe what you're experiencing now is an unfortunate (and common!) combination of transitional jitters to the adult world coupled with a lack of actual hands on experience with your chosen major. Give it some time, you can always make life changes, but after you have some real world experience with it.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.