View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20

Re: College aplication help! - October 5th 2011, 05:01 AM

Having been there, done that... Your personal statement is NOT to be a sob story or an explanation of why your GPA dropped or why you got a D in that one class you happen to suck at.
Your personal statement is a, "This is why you want me." That being said, I woud stray away from, "I was depressed, so my GPA dropped," and turn it into, "Although I have gone through times of hardship in my life, I have always found myself able to rise to the challenge. Despite the adversity that accompanied my sophomore year, I was able to work hard...." etc. Don't make excuses. Turn what seems to be a negative aspect to a positive aspect.

When they ask you to discuss circumstances that contribute to your academic performance, it's not asking you to justify your GPA or anything of that nature... It's asking for you to explain your passions, what pushes your buttons, etc. that make you a great student. For example... When I applied for college to an elementary education program, I explained why I chose the major I did. "Ever since second grade, I worked with my mother teaching Sacramental Preparation classes at my church. From the time I was 7 years old up until now, I have felt a growing passion for the fielf of education. I live to watch children grow in every aspect - physically, emotionally and academically. Through discovering my passion for teaching at a very early age, I have never felt stronger about becoming an educator. This passion is something you do not see in every student, and it is what sets me apart from the rest." No, that's not what I said, but it's a decent example... Had I written it for an actual application, I would have made it sound much more elegant, but... I want you to see the basic idea of the things they want to hear.

You want to sound like you in your personal statement, and you want the admissions team to see why you stand out and why YOU need to be chosen over thousands of other applicants.

P.S. Looking at your spelling and grammar here, please make sure that you double and triple check your spelling and grammar on your personal statement, and have someone else review it for you before you send in your application!

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Last edited by TakeTheLeap; October 5th 2011 at 05:15 AM.