Thread: Triggering (Bullying): Teachers tell bullied kids to act less 'gay'
View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Teachers tell bullied kids to act less 'gay' - November 3rd 2011, 08:37 AM

I'm not sure how many people noticed in the article but the teachers admitted they received very little training of how to deal with bullying. They should of course try their absolute best and use common-sense but at the end of the day, if they're not being trained properly, then this is a systemic problem and it'd be unfair to put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the teachers.

I'm just speculating but when the teachers told the kids to act, "less gay", they're probably adhering to the logic that if the student stops doing the act that bullies focus on, then the bullying will end. Obviously it's a moronic statement on the teachers' part.

According to the article, LBGTQ groups stepped up because they immediately thought the teachers were targeting homosexuality and the groups made a big fuss about homophobia. However, I question whether the teachers were referring to sexual orientation or to alternative meanings of "gay", such as happy, blissful, light-hearted, highly emotional, full of colour and so forth. To me, it was a way of telling the students to man up and grow (proverbial) balls to stand up for themselves or to stop acting in such an unusual manner that calls for attention. In other words, quit being a stupid baby-like whiner and do something about it to address the issue themselves, whether they take martial art lessons or bulk up with muscle. Their word choice was pretty poor as they could have been much clearer but I think it's ridiculous the various groups were unable to acknowledge the possibility the teachers intended the non-sexual definition.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 750827 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!