View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Am I the only one who hates people reading my work? - November 3rd 2011, 09:00 AM

I don't mind if people read my research papers after I've handed them in and they're marked. It would benefit me, especially when it's a good paper because others may get some of their questions answered in regards to what the TA wanted for an "A-grade" paper vs a C-grade paper. Almost everyone knows to flock to the smarter kids, which for me means I can lead study groups and use my marks as justification.

I only have 1 class that has a large amount of students (~150-200) whereas 1 other course has ~50 students and the last 2 courses have 6-7 students. People don't copy notes during lecture in the small classes since the profs know us by name, whenever they see wandering eyes onto someone else's notes, they often step in to clarify whatever the person didn't get. You also don't get the embarassment of asking a question like you would in a large class. Although I haven't felt the need to, I could simply take a different seat as there's always extra room.

For larger classes where people are more crammed, I don't mind if someone didn't get one point so they copy off me. I've done this to my friends as well, however, when their nose is practically on my notes because they're copying just about everything, I start covering my notes up so it's harder to copy from. I'm sometimes willing to help the person but by copying all my notes, they might as well just take my notes from my bag when I'm not looking, run away with them and come back whenever they feel like it. All they have to do is ask.

What annoys me is when they ask to see my notes while in lecture but instead of just looking with their eyes, they feel the need to grab my notes from me, then copy them. That's when I grab them back and no longer help the person because despite what they may believe, I need my notebook to write notes in while in lectures. All that grabbing my notes does is make me want to grab my notebook back, smack it on their head a few times then resume writing notes.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)