View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Tamugetsu Offline
Emotional Sponge
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Malcolm

Points: 8,067, Level: 13 Points: 8,067, Level: 13 Points: 8,067, Level: 13

Re: so am I still apart of lgbt even though? - November 15th 2011, 02:33 AM

Typically, LGBT is understood to be a short version of a much larger acronym. As someone with several asexual friends, I tend to alternate between LGBT and LGBTQIA (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans* Queer Intersex Asexual) or LGBTQIAetc, because some people identify as something other than those, like pansexuals, genderqueer or agender individuals, and so on. As an intersex person, you are of course a part of LGBT, your group is just often left out of the acronym.
Of course, there are those who only support people who belong to some subset or other of the community, but worrying about them won't help, and there are plenty of people (myself included) who consider LGBTetc to be an open group for anyone who defies the traditional norms of gender, physical sex, or sexual orientation.
So you're a girl who likes guys. And you almost have a body to match. Who am I, a gay rights activist, to persecute you for being who you are or liking who you like? In my opinion, you're in the LGBT community if you want to be, as long as you're not hurting anyone. And of course as someone with an intersex condition you qualify under the gender-norm-defying umbrella. While, yes, it may be a fringe within the community, (my asexual friends have a similar experience in the LGBT community) you are certainly LGBT in my book.
That's my two cents, darlin'.