Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14

Re: Infected Cartilage piercing--what to do? - November 17th 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Poppins View Post
Really?

Fair enough.

I did clean mine in surgical-grade alcohol before I put them in which is probably why I had no problems.

OP, if you find that you can't get on with surgical steel, the only other thing I can suggest is pure gold (9ct+).
Yep, since the material is porous the bacteria gets in all of the little pores which can be bad. The alcohol would help sterilize them but you'd have to continue to keep them clean while healing which is a big hassle and not worth the risk in my opinion. Especially since taking out the jewelry to clean it all the time will only severely irritate the piercing and can create bad scarring. We had a girl come into the shop yesterday who wanted to take her belly button piercing out after 3 months to put a bioflex retainer in for surgery. We had to refuse because it wasn't fully healed yet.

You could also try pure titanium pieces (not ones coated in titanium because that wears off) if you can find them somewhere. If there's a tattoo & body piercing studio near you that sells Industrial Strength or Neo-Metal's jewelry use one of those. It's the only thing the guy I go to uses for piercings uses for ears, facial piercings, etc.