View Single Post
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! Offline
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: 10 year old girl in Illinois commits suicide over LGBT bullying - November 19th 2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
She was only 10... I think that's a bit harsh. I'm usually on the edge about these long and tedious debates people get into when people posts threads about teens commiting sucide, but I think saying that a 10 year old who commited suicide was selfish and didn't give a crap about her family is a bit OTT.
A 10 year old would perfectly understand what death and suicide are. The fact the 10 year old used whatever fabric to tie a noose and hang herself shows she's not mentally impaired, so it's fair enough to say she knew exactly what she was doing.

Quote:
As for the actual story, of course, it is incredibly sad, but I have a problem with these stories in general being labeled as 'due to bullying'. Normal 10 year olds don't have thoughts about killing themselves, much less go through with it. Obviously there was more going on (and by that I mean mentally). I don't think it's fair to pin the death of a child on other children. Yes, bullying is bad, and the kids who did it are more than likely little brats... but are they evil monsters who causeD a ten year old's death? No. It's unfair to say otherwise.
There's always more to the story than what the news clipping gives. I agree, normally 10 year olds don't decide to off themselves unless there is another psychiatric factor at play. The other kids certainly played a part by bullying her but I agree, laying the blame square on their heads is unfair.

Quote:
What strikes me more about this story is that there was a 10 year old going through those kind of problems (depression, suicidal thoughts etc) and nobody noticed. Not that a bunch of little shit heads were being cruel to a classmate.
It's not necessarily that nobody noticed because they could have known but not given a shit or wouldn't think she'd kill herself.

Quote:
Also unless you've got the information from somewhere else I don't know why this says LGBT bullying. I find it intereresting that people automatically assume that if a person kills themselves due to bullying, it was because they were gay. Because we all know gay bullying is worse than any other kind of bullying.
I assume this was directed at the OP but if it was directed at me, I didn't comment on the lack of LGBT bullying in the article because mostly everyone else already did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaazza View Post
I think that it is really sad and nobody should be have to do this because they are getting bullied and at an age which is so young it is even more sad. It is not selfish it may have been the best option that she had because she couldn't take it anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1
All that she was thinking was probably "This hurts too bad right now, I can't take it any more."
The article said she told her mother who listened and the next day the girl killed herself, so it's obvious to me her mother was an alternate option that could have helped. However, pretending the mother didn't help, since when is ending your life the "best option"? Your reasoning glamorizes suicide because you view nothing wrong with it. If a person kill themselves over schoolyard bullying. That's a sign of ultimate weakness and cowardice. The selfishness is obvious because instead of trying to use the family for help (which the girl did and was successful at), they kill themselves, which to me waves off the family as though they're not even there, followed by potential whining that nobody was there for them. I'm sorry but if one contemplates suicide at that young of an age, I question how they'll manage through the hardships of life.

Again though, my sympathies go out to the family, it's got to be hard dealing with the aftermath of their suicidal child. Some families would view suicide as bringing shame onto the family name, so families have to cope with that also.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)